Wednesday, December 2, 2015

New and Improved What Rhetoric Means to Me

I would now define rhetoric as the study of writing and speaking persuasively, well informed and clearly structured in order to argue successfully.  Referencing the original website, I'm seeing that the definition they give is "the study of effective speaking and writing. And the art of persuasion. And many other things."  While I agree with the website, after a semester of learning about rhetoric, I think there is more creativity involved that both my definition and the website's definition lead on.  To successfully rhetorically analyze something, you need to creatively think of tactics that will persuade your audience and convince them of what your argument.  To this day, I agree with my old post in regards to successfully creating an argument, I think it is important to think about incorporating pathos and style, addressing your audience, and sensitivity to kairos.  However, after working with rhetorical analysis, I understand the importance of ethos and logos, relating your argument to your audience and delivery.  I believe that these are the more important aspects to incorporate as opposed to previous statements I made last blog post. 

I think it is critical to incorporate ethos and logos when writing using rhetoric.  Ethos gets your audience to listen to what you are writing.  If he or she feels attracted to what you are arguing because of your background in education or your word choice on the subject, then your audience is more likely to agree with what you are saying.  While the website states that rhetoric is often criticized for over using pathos, logos and ethos, I think that logos can not be overused when defending your points.  Logos is very attached to successfully compelling your audience.  If you have educated yourself on the topic, or have proof of previous education and you have facts, sources and statements to back you up, only one thing is standing between you and your audience in successfully arguing your point. 

That one thing is explaining to your audience why it matters.  Considering your audience is an important part of rhetoric.  In order to know how to convince your audience, it is important to understand whom you are speaking to.  I believe every text or speech should cater directly to his or her anticipated audience.  It is crucial because the audience has the potential to influence the way the author or speaker chooses to deliver their argument.  Knowing your audience is arguably the most effective way to set your argument up for success. For example, in my paper, it was super easy for me to explain to myself why it mattered.  I worked with refugee everyday.  I saw the pain.  However, your everyday citizen of Glen Ellyn didn't know refugees existed.  I really struggled in finding a good way for me to show the other people of Glen Ellyn WHY they should care.  WHY it will eventually effect them and WHY now is the time to make a change.  I still think this is an area I need to improve on in my writing.  

I do still agree that there is something about a writing style with an open mind that persuades the audience more so than a writing style in a different, more one-sided manner.  With the website defining rhetoric as the study of "effective" speaking, the author must use techniques, such as Graff's agree and disagree technique in They Say I Say, while speaking to the audience to ensure the audience agrees with, or at least clearly understands, his message. Lastly, delivery.  Delivering your message and not only saying what you need to say but also saying it in the proper way altogether is one of the greatest challenges writers face.  

Overall, learning about rhetoric these past few months has made me a better writer.  I do think that creativity plays into effectively using logos and ethos, convincing your audience and delivery of the argument as a whole.  

In addition to the improved definition, I understand how rhetoric remains important in relation to our class.  We continually use it in Fight Club to try and convince the other side of the argument why we are right.  It has become second nature to our class about what tactics to use, but most of the time, we fall back onto logos. 



Burton, Gideon O. "The Forest of Rhetoric." Silva Rhetoricae. Brigham YoungUniversity, n.d. Web. 3 Sept. 2015. <http://rhetoric.byu.edu/>.

2 comments:

  1. I think you very accurately defined ethos, pathos, and logos. It's important to elaborate on these when speaking about rhetoric writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was interesting how your initial thoughts on the definition of rhetoric hasn't changed. Not that is a bad thing, but it seems like other people's opinions or definitions changed. A nice final post!

    ReplyDelete