Friday, December 4, 2015

Defining Rhetoric One Last Time

            Our lovely vocabulary list defined “rhetoric” as “the art of effective expression.”  I think this is an adequate description if we must limit its definition to five words.  However, the term can be defined at a much deeper level.  The given definition seems too simple.  The folks at BYU probably would agree with this statement, given their extensive analysis of the subject online.  For our simplified definition to hold enough weight, in my opinion, there must be extra emphasis placed on the word “art.”  A rhetorical analysis has a complex and meaningful process to it, one that cannot be overlooked by its reader.  Originally, I thought that rhetoric is dull and unimaginative, so I did not have high hopes for the content I would be learning.  Over this past semester, I have come to realize that this kind of expression can be beautiful and incredibly creative if I work hard at it.  There are many different elements that comprise an exceptional rhetorical piece.  When I put in the time to consider these different aspects, I learn how to manipulate my words to produce an effective argument.  Appealing to the emotions, logic, and character of my audience provides numerous challenges, but those areas are necessary in order to create a sound and memorable argument.  Upon the successful implementation of all three methods of persuasive appeals, I felt the structure and organization of my argument molds into a proactive discussion.  The completion of my large rhetorical project was extremely rewarding because I know that I learned a lot throughout the writing process, both about my topic and about writing. 

            As previously mentioned, successful and efficient rhetoric is more than mere expression.  It is a creative discussion between a writer and his or her audience.  By appealing to my audience’s emotions, logic, and character, I have learned to consider their thoughts on a much greater scale.  Additionally, by planting naysayers in my writing, I have learned to address the audience’s concerns in a manner that directly considers their pathos, logos, and ethos.  Furthermore, this trend toward a discussion-like structure has helped me create more convincing and original arguments.  By presenting an opinion with which I do not agree, I have to figure out ways to formulate a rebuttal against it, which requires imaginative thinking in various occasions.  In his book On Writing, Stephen King discusses how writing is a form of telepathy; the writer’s thoughts are communicated through his words to his readers, who in turn process the information and transfer those words into their own thoughts.  Previously, I only thought of this concept in the context of creative writing.  Now, I can easily see how this applies to rhetorical analyses.  Rhetoric is a discussion, but it is a discussion without words, which is the definition of telepathy.  This notion, indirectly applied by Stephen King (whom I consider a creative genius), stresses the creativity that goes into formulating a rhetorical argument.  
          Conclusively, an original and imaginative composition is necessary to capture the attention of the reader and convince him or her that it is relevant and to inspire a new way of thinking.  Rhetoric, as an art form, involves both the writer and reader at a much more meaningful level than I had previously understood.  It is a complex dialogue between the minds of two people, involving serious preparation and design on one end and inspired thoughtful analysis on the other.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt! It is good to see that your rhetoric skills have developed over the semester. It seems that you have learned a lot from the process. I agree that "the art of effective expression" does not justify what rhetoric truly is. It is important to understand everythig that it encompasses and that definition surely does not. I like how you recognized the role of the reader in your definition as the writer's argument would be irrelevant without the reader. The analysis is just as important as the thought. Also, I like how you put "serious preparation" in your definition. As we learned from our research papers, this could not be more true. Nice job with the post, and in the class as well.

    ReplyDelete